Chinese Immersion Elementary Teacher (5th Grade) Substitute for Maternity Leave
Reports to: Principal (K-5)
Status: Exempt (salary) Full-time
Compensation: $39,110 – $47,230
(Depending on education and experience)
Effective Date: 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 Academic year June 1, 2014 – June 12, 2014 and August 19, 2015 – October 9, 2015
The International School in downtown Portland has one (1) opening for a limited duration Substitute Chinese 5th grade Immersion Elementary Teacher with native level fluency in Chinese. This position would be covering a maternity leave and will start June 1, 2014 complete the current school year and return again in the 2015-2016 school year for several weeks.
The International School provides a warm multicultural environment where students from Pre-K through 5th grade are fully immersed in Spanish, Japanese or Chinese language and culture. Chinese Immersion homeroom teachers use the target language throughout the day while engaged with students.
We are looking for energetic, flexible and open minded teachers who are motivated by new opportunities and challenges. We are seeking teachers who are passionate about and committed to the mission and vision of The International School and able to demonstrate the values and traits of the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program and Learner Profile while teaching and working.
The ideal candidate will be dedicated to meeting the needs of diverse student learners, as well as, committed to being a collaborative team player who can work together with students, colleagues, the administrative team, parents/community, and work independently.
The International School is committed to small class sizes of 19 students or less; our average class size is 14 students. We offer an engaged school community with supportive and interactive parents, where our multicultural environment is appreciated and celebrated. We offer professional development opportunities for teachers and are committed to supporting teachers’ growth with trainings and workshops.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Teaching or Education
- At least 1 year of professional teaching experience in a language immersion classroom
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and spoken English
- Native level fluency inMandarin Chinesealong with demonstrated ability to teach the language to non-native speaking students
- Comfortable proactively learning new technology and integrating technology into the classroom to increase learning. Specific experience using Macs, iPads, iWorks, Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and PCs
- Master’s degree in Elementary Teaching/Education
- Previous experience working in an International Baccalaureate (IB) school, experience with Constructivist learning pedagogy or Inquiry Based-Primary Years Program (PYP) pedagogy
- Certification for teaching Chinese language
Compensation and Benefits
• Depending on experience and education
• Employer paid medical for employee only, voluntary dental insurance, Cafeteria plan with FSA, DCA and Transit account, sick time and 403(b) plan with matching
• 50% tuition discount for full time employee’s qualifying children
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit our website to view the full Teacher Job Description http://www.intlschool.org/employment
Apply using our online application at http://intlschool.org/employment/ and submit the following to complete your application:
- Cover Letter
- Copies of Degree(s) received and any teaching certifications obtained, or other trainings
- For degree(s) or certifications obtained outside the U.S. Certified English Translations must be provided.
- References or Letters of Recommendation
- No new H1-B sponsorship available
**Employment is contingent on successful completion of the Oregon Department of Education Background Check http://www.ode.state.or.us/services/transportation/forms/2282-M.pdf ***
The International School
Tel: 503.226.2496 ext.107